Thursday, February 23, 2012

We skipped Ash Wednesday. Literally, it disappeared sometime over the international dateline, while I was contorting my body into my mininscual coach seat to attempt sleep. We left Seattle on Fat Tuesday, and then arrived into Australia on a Thursday morning.
I did not purposefully plan this trip to cover the whole of Lent, but it does feel like a good idea to adopt a practice of some sort to honor the meditative rhythm of this journey. My challenge from Andy to do something creative - like painting, drawing, writing, poetry, photography - all practices which seem like a good place to start. Today, I drew a picture on my ipad that looks a bit like something I would have done in 3rd grade. Judgment aside, I find that just a few moments of playing around with colors and shapes loosens something in my brain. A much needed loosening after 20 hours of traveling and jet lag. I will commit to do something creative every day.

On that note, a favorite Hafiz poem of mine for creative inspiration (from The Gift, Daniel Landinsky translation)

The
Difference
Between
A good artist
And a great one
Is:
The Novice
Will often lay down his tool
or brush
Then pick up an invisible club
On the mind's table
And helplessly smash the easels and
Jade
Whereas the vintage man
no longer hurts himself or anyone
And keeps on sculpting
Light.


And now, real sleep. Goodnight.

5 comments:

  1. Go Jennifer! I'm very excited for your journey and excited that you are willing to share it with us!

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. May your journey take you on paths you are meant to walk. Looking forward to your sharing when you have the space on your trip and most definitely when you get back. Hugs!!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the reflection about Ash Wednesday...mmm, where is it? Did it go up in dust? Did it blow away with the trade winds? Is it just smoke on the water?

    Thanks for sharing Hafiz with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the reflection about Ash Wednesday...mmm, where is it? Did it go up in dust? Did it blow away with the trade winds? Is it just smoke on the water?

    Thanks for sharing Hafiz with us.

    ReplyDelete