These fish dishes were done in New Orleans style, at a delicious Southern/Mexican fusion place called Sweet Mother's. We had to try the New Zealand beers, I had a wheat and mom had a pilsner, both great. We topped this meal off with Beignets. Now likely a few pounds heavier than I was at the start of my trip (remember the carbonera pasta and pizzas), I am starting to wonder why skinny jeans seemed like such a good pre-trip purchase. But everyone is wearing them here. It turns out you don't actually have to BE skinny to wear them. Fashion seems almost purposefully random, with lots of mismatched 80s clothes, the women seem to be competing for the 'frumpiest outfit' award. I have yet to get a good pic of this fashion phenom, but will make it my next mission.
Wellington has a cool vibe, and seems quite international, with Malaysian, Japanese, Indian, and Thai food shops on most corners. Supposedly, lots of immigrants came over in the 1950s and the 1970s to work in the factories, and have since stayed. I'm sure plenty more have arrived in recent years, just because of the gorgeous landscape with free schools and healthcare, and virtually no poverty according to the standards of other countries.
The Te Papa Museum, which is New Zealand's National Museum, gave us a great introduction to the history, landscape and challenges faced by contemporary New Zealanders. What impressed me was how much they care about their land and conservation. Everyone recycles, and our tourguide spoke about the active forest restoration efforts. The Far North had forest conservation signs and protect the Kiwi (endangered, I guess) signs up around every corner. They are like Seattle's nature lovers on steroids. I would fit right in....just give me some pink stonewashed jeans and I would be good to go.
Great post! Can't wait for the pink jeans.
ReplyDelete